Sunday, March 11, 2012

Puppies For Sale - Part Two

 “Alright , kids. This is how it's gonna work. First we're doin' the the interviews and separate screen-tests, some of you will be goin' home. Then we're puttin' you in groups of fours an' fives for you to interact. The group that's the most natural is the one that goes onto the show. Some of you's might be called on to be extras later.” A Man with a thick New York accent explained to the 300-some kids surrounding him. All ages from 10 to 18 were there, including 18 year old Chester Harris, 16 year old Greg Swift, 15 year old Enrique Suarez and 14 year old Xavier O'Toole, all of whom this story is about. “I'll be calling you all in Alphabetically, by your last name. All A's through J's, line up. The rest of you's... sit tight.” The man explained. Chester lined up with the others, Xavier remained writing, trying to ignore a couple kids picking on him, Greg remained playing on his Gameboy, and Enrique remained playing with his hair, and talking to a few girls.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The man put a tape into the camera, and ushered Chester into the room. “Feel free to play around with anything on the set, I'm going to ask you a few questions.” He said. “Alrighty, fire away, then.” He said, playing with a slinky he found. “First off, where are you from?” The man asked. “Hillsboro. That's one of them towns inbetween Cincinnati and Dayton. You ever been to either of them?” Chester answered, adding a question. “No, I haven't.” He replied. “Ooh, lucky you.” Chester said with an eyeroll. “How old are you?” The man asked. “How old are you? ...I'm eighteen, just graduated this June.” Chester replied. “Do you play any instruments?” The man asked. “Drums, I'm no good at anything else.” Chester replied. “Have you acted before?” The man asked. “Only school plays.” Chester replied. “Can you sing for us?” The man asked. “Us? Ah, I would, but my mom has this rule about not making peoples ears bleed.”Chester replied. “Alright then... do you have any hobbies? Sports or anything?” The man asked. “Uh, football, basketball... only with the neighbor kids, really. And uh... I collect bottlecaps.” Chester replied.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“K's through S's, line up! You're next!” A fat old woman ordered. Enrique and Greg lined up, but Xavier remained writing even though he should have been with the group.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Alright, Eduardo, feel free to play around, I'm going to ask you some questions.” The man said. “Okay, but my name is Enrique.” He said, admiring the plastic china. “Whatever. Where are you from?” The man asked. “Uh... New Mexico? Oh! No, Colorado. Denver.” Enrique answered. “How old are you?” The man asked. “I am fifteen. I'm gonna get to drive when I go home, I think. My cat's really old, it should count as an adult.” Enrique answered. “Do you play any instruments?” The man asked. “Uhm... I play maracas and tambourine. Does that count?” Enrique answered. “Have you acted before?” The man asked. “Oh! All the time. I do it in school and community plays as well.” Enrique answered. “Can you sing?” The man asked. “Not without music, but yes.” Enrique answered. “Your hair is very curly. Is it natural?” The man asked. “Of course it is.” Enrique replied.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“Okay Greg, feel free to look around the set, I'm going to ask you some questions.” The man said. “Alright, sounds cool.” Greg said, walking around the set. “First question, where are you from?” The man asked. “I'm from St. Petersburg. ...The one in Florida. Just by the beach.” Greg answered. “How old are you?” The man asked. “16. What about you?” Greg answered. “...Can you play any instruments?” The man asked. “Guitar, Drums, Piano, Bass. Not much good at drums, actually.” Greg answered. “Have you acted before?” The man asked. “Not much. Before last week, no.” Greg answered. “Can you sing?” The man asked. “”Yeah, kinda. Good enough, I guess.” Greg replied. “When was the last time you got your haircut?” The man asked. “God, nosy much?” Greg answered, shaking his bangs out of his eyes. “Last week, okay?” He answered. “Do you have any hobbies? Sports or anything?” The man asked. “Well, I surf, play basketball, baseball, I've gone para-sailing a few times. You ever gone para-sailing over the ocean?” Greg replied. “Can't say I have.” The man said. “Oh, shoot, that sucks. It's such a thrill, you should try it.” Greg said.  

No comments:

Post a Comment